Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Ballas in Business

I’d never experienced the feeling of absolute disbelief and excitement before the time when I received a phone call from Quantas. It was the day before I was going to depart on my adventure with mark. I was scrambling around trying to organize and pack up my life for the next 8 months when I received a phone call telling me that my flight was cancelled so they would have to re-route our trip and bump us up to business calls because of the inconvenience. While they were being apologetic I was blankly staring at my parents trying to figure out if this was a scam or not. I just didn’t understand how this could happen to me. It was too good to be true, but none the less, I accepted that it could be a possibility and although it felt like a gamble Mark and I got the tickets changed. From that point on it seemed that everything was real and it was actually happening. The weeks prior to leaving people kept on asking me if I were nervous or excited or scared or anything and I never had an answer because I didn’t believe that I was actually leaving. The trip was so different from anything that I’ve ever planned that I guess my brain just decided it was another silly idea that I wanted to do but would never actually follow through. Reality struck when I was trying to squeeze the last pair of shoes into my already stuffed backpack while my mom was running around trying to find ziplock bags to stuff more clothes into.

 I had a nervous excited feeling in the pitt of my stomach that stayed there until I boarded the first flight to LA. After some tears were shed and goodbyes were said I shifted my thoughts to what was to come over the next 24 hours. I think I was partially nervous because I thought the tickets might still be fake but we made it on the flight and landed in LAX which was when the adventure really started…

 
The Quantas Business Class Lounge is probably the most luxurious place you can find in an airport, if you can find it that is. See Mark and I are commoners. We’re not used to the extravagant life that Business Class has to offer so naturally it took us about 45mins to find the place. Hidden away in the corner of the airport is a tiny room with an elevator in it (we assumed it was so out of the way because they don’t want common folk to come barging along and try to get into this executive area for special executive like people). In the lounge there was a buffet where you could get some snacks and a fully stocked bar where you could simply walk up and make your own drinks. There were also showers to use, free wifi, and any type of chair you could possibly want to sit on. The best part was that we didn’t have to pay for a single thing in there! And if the lounge its self wasn’t enough, the Business class seats on the Quantas A380 we were on were more than enough. I never really understood why people would pay such ridiculous amounts to sit at the front of the plane until I experienced that flight. It was a 15 hour flight from LA to Sydney and we both got a sleeping pod, a mattress, blanket, pillow, a Kate Spade toiletry bag (with a toothbrush, toothpaste, ear plugs, hand lotion and eye covers), Quantas brand pj’s, 2 full meals, and of course…free booze!! We were very clearly “those people” on the flight that were too excited for their own good.


I have never had a more comfortable flight, but the time came when we landed and had to get off the plane to find our “luxurious” hostel.
 
 





First stop....SYDNEY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment